Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Friday, April 5, 2013

Book Beginnings: The Bean Trees

Today I am linking up to Book Beginnings hosted by Rose City Reader where readers share the first sentence of the current book they are reading.

This is the first line from The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver and it instantly captured my attention.

"I have been afraid of putting in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbine's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign."


It begins by describing a tragic situation but there seems to be a slight humor in the observer's recount of the incident. The fact that the Standard Oil sign is signaled as a landmark lets the reader know that it is a small town and this event had a deep impact on the people in the town. I am still in the first half of this book but so far it is proving to be another terrific read by Kingsolver.

Happy Reading!
Rebecca

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin