Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Friday, April 5, 2013

Book Beginnings: The Bean Trees

Today I am linking up to Book Beginnings hosted by Rose City Reader where readers share the first sentence of the current book they are reading.

This is the first line from The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver and it instantly captured my attention.

"I have been afraid of putting in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbine's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign."


It begins by describing a tragic situation but there seems to be a slight humor in the observer's recount of the incident. The fact that the Standard Oil sign is signaled as a landmark lets the reader know that it is a small town and this event had a deep impact on the people in the town. I am still in the first half of this book but so far it is proving to be another terrific read by Kingsolver.

Happy Reading!
Rebecca

7 comments:

  1. Ha, that is a great first sentence! :) I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. We once had to change a tire and I had no idea what to do, so I sort of know what she's talking about! It sounds like a really nice book! I'm a new follower!

    I'd love for you to join my giveaway of 'Arabella's Shadows', all you have to do is leave your name and email address in a comment!
    Join my Giveaway on my Friday post!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read this author...this one sounds tempting! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good beginning. I've never heard of this book but I have heard of the author at least:)

    Here's my Friday Meme Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the Bean Trees ages ago, if you're interested, this is the link to my Blogpost. I loved it just like all the other Barbara Kingsolver novels I read.

    My new book starts like this: Gentelmen: Your ad in the Saturday Review of Literature says that you specialize in out-of-print books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the matter-of-fact tone (and potentially dark humour) of that narrator - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite graphic - and definitely something I'd want to go on with. I'm curious, looking at the cover, where it takes place?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin