Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Deep Dish Mexican Pizza




These short winter days do not cooperate for much weekday cooking so on the weekend, I like to experiment. I had an extra pie crust in the refrigerator and was inspired by one of my favorite dishes of a ham, tomato and cheese dinner pie, which led to the creation of a deep dish Mexican pizza. I pre-baked the crust first according to the box directions so that the it would crisp up on the bottom, covering the edges in aluminum foil so that they would not burn. After baking, I spread re-fried beans into the shell, topped with cooked ground turkey mixed with a can of green chilies and enchilada sauce. Then, I topped that layer with chopped tomatoes and jalapenos, followed by a top layer of Monterey Jack cheese. Back into the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until the cheese is all melted.



Then slice and enjoy with a nice margarita or your favorite beverage. The best part about this dish is that it can easily be customized. You could substitute black beans, rice, salsa, corn or other veggies for any of these ingredients.
Buen provecho!

Rebecca

This post is linked up to Weekend Cooking, a weekly meme hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads.

15 comments:

  1. very creative!
    and goes nicely with my post this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! What a great way to use the leftover turkey. In fact, this would be good with any leftover roasted poultry or meat. I'm booking this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic and it's something I could make after working all day. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! And it is easy to make a vegetarian version of this. I just love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very creative recipe and it looks delicious, too! I like the idea of adding black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a pizza and a half! Yum. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to make a Mexican lasagna, but this looks much better. I just pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! That looks like an excellent fall dish with tremendous flavor!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds incredibly yummy! Gotta try it.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make Mexican pizza quite often, but have never thought of doing a pie. Thanks for the great idea! Will definitely by trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! This looks delicious, though I would use ground beef because for some reason I just don't like ground turkey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband would absolutely adore this!! I used to make him a type of enchilada bake but the recipe called for tortillas but I like the idea of everything being in a pie dish for easy dishing. Like Amanda I'm not a big fan of the ground turkey, though. Just something about the texture and moisture that keeps me sticking to beef.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought a boxed deep dish pizza for the very first time a few weeks ago and was less than thrilled. yours sounds so much better and it makes me want to give this style a second try. My family will be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering just looking at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin