Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Friday, March 15, 2013

Celebrating St. Patrick's Day with Poetry

In June 2010, I had the opportunity to spend two weeks in  Ireland. It is a beautiful country with amazing landscapes. To celebrate St. Patrick's Day this year, I am sharing with my fellow readers a poem by Irish writer W. B. Yeats along with some photos from my trip. I hope this adds a welcoming dose of green to your day!


St. Patrick's Cathedral
The Wild Swans at Coole
By W. B. Yeats

The trees are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky;
Upon the brimming water among the stones
Are nine and fifty swans.


The nineteenth Autumn has come upon me
Since I first made my count;
I saw, before I had well finished,
All suddenly mount
And scatter wheeling in great broken rings
Upon their clamorous wings.


I have looked upon those brilliant creatures,
And now my heart is sore.
All's changed since I, hearing at twilight,
The first time on this shore,
The bell-beat of their wings above my head,
Trod with a lighter tread.


Unwearied still, lover by lover, They paddle in the cold,
Companionable streams or climb the air;
Their hearts have not grown old;
Passion or conquest, wander where they will,
Attend upon them still.

River Liffey, Dublin
But now they drift on the still water
Mysterious, beautiful;
Among what rushes will they build,
By what lake's edge or pool
Delight men's eyes, when I awake some day
To find they have flown away?

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
This post is linked up to Saturday Snapshot, a super fun meme hosted by Alyce at At Home With Books. Head on over and check out some great photos!



Rebecca

15 comments:

  1. Happy St. Patrick's Day! And thanks for the wonderful photos and poetry.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem and such beautiful pictures to go with it! Here's my Saturday Snapshot post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely poem. Ireland is very picturesque and so green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about that poem, but I love these lines especially:
    "Companionable streams or climb the air;
    Their hearts have not grown old;"

    A beautiful pairing of photo and poem. Loved it and may come back to look at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St. Patrick's day, what a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! And the perfect photos for St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one of my favourite poems, and your pictures show spectacular scenery. When I was a child we holidayed with my grandparents in Donegal, and there always swans at a place called Inch Island, in Lough Swilly, and I think of them every time I read this poem. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/U62WN

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful shots and I enjoyed the poem as well. Makes me wish I was in Ireland for St Patty's :) Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures of Ireland, thanks for sharing them! It's on my bucket list of places I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful country! The ruins in that second photo look so interesting. I would love to explore that place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photos.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a lovely trip....nice poem and snapshots♪ Happy Week-end♥ Thanks for visiting my Bear With Me blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful! I love how the line of sight leads straight to the green in the cathedral photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just lovely, Rebecca. I would love to visit Ireland. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin