Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Rosemary Bread


This simple and delicious bread recipe is one that I have make a lot, especially during the summer months when my rosemary plant is flourishing. Surprisingly, the plant is still surviving the winter thus far so I decided to harvest some of it up and bake more bread. This recipe is a version from Romano's Macaroni Grill that I found on food.com. It is really good and super easy but you do have to plan ahead because it takes a while for the bread to rise.

This version makes two small loaves.
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons rosemary
2 Tablespoons butter

Directions:
1. Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl or food processor and allow mixture to become bubbly.
2. Mix in 1 Tablespoon butter, salt, and 2 cups of flour
3. Add 1 Tablespoon of fresh rosemary
4. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or in food processor about five minutes until smooth and elastic
5. Add more flour if necessary
6. Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel
7. Let dough rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled
8. Punch down dough and divide in half
9. Let dough rest about five minutes
10. Spray baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray
11. Shape dough into two small rounded loaves
12. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tablespoon of rosemary over the loaves and press lightly in the surface
13. Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes
14. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
15. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned
16. Carefully remove from oven, brush with remaining butter and add salt if desired.

You could also substitute dried rosemary, Italian seasoning, or Herbs de Provence seasoning if you did not have fresh rosemary on hand.
Enjoy!


This post is linked up to Weekend Cooking, a weekly meme hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads.

Happy Cooking!
Rebecca



19 comments:

  1. (1) I love to bake bread, and (2) I still have rosemary out in my garden, and (3) I was asked to bake bread tomorrow....Mmmm...so glad I stopped by here this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rosemary bread! My rosemary never makes it past new years, it gets too cold up here and I'm too lazy to dig it up and bring in. I'll have to see if the store has it or I'll wait until summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have some rosemary in the fridge that I salvaged from the garden before my plant finally succumbed to winter. I think I might make bread to warm up the house today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm, I'm now dreaming of warm rosemary bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread looks delicious! Unfortunately, my rosemary is long gone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good. It is a cold day in Minnesota and warm bread sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by and visiting, I'm your latest follower!!
    This bread looks so good!!
    I am reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn at the moment as I loved Gone Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jackie! I just signed up to follow your blog as well. I will definitely be reading more Gillian Flynn. I hope you enjoy Sharp Objects!
      Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

      Delete
  8. that sounds wonderful. I do admire you for making your own bread. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rosemary bread, but I've never thought about making it before. I may give this recipe a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never had rosemary bread. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rosemary and have a plant growing in my kitchen. I need to make something for a church lunch tomorrow and this might be it! Your loaves look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. once I realized that I could knead the dought by machine, i was re-hooked on baking bread. YOur loaves look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking bread. I am always on the lookout for a new bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never tried rosemary bread. Sounds good though!
    Here's My WC

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks amazing. We brought a couple of pots of rosemary in so I've got a lot to use.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum--that looks so good! I love homemade bread but am very lazy about all the rising and kneading. Thanks for letting me drool over yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love rosemary! You motivated me to make bread again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin