Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Beginnings: The Devil in the White City

 Today I am linking up to Book Beginnings hosted by Rose City Reader where readers share the first sentence of the current book they are reading.





The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson begins with these words:  

"How easy it was to disappear: A thousand trains a day entered or left Chicago. Many of these trains brought single young women who had never even seen a city but now hope to make one of the biggest and toughest their home."


The reader can initially sense the mystery that is going to unravel with the use of the word "disappear" in the opening line. We sense that there was a sense of naivete at the time and that the city itself is going to be a main character.

About the Book (from Publishers Weekly): Not long after Jack the Ripper haunted the ill-lit streets of 1888 London, H.H. Holmes (born Herman Webster Mudgett) dispatched somewhere between 27 and 200 people, mostly single young women, in the churning new metropolis of Chicago; many of the murders occurred during (and exploited) the city's finest moment, the World's Fair of 1893. Larson's breathtaking new history is a novelistic yet wholly factual account of the fair and the mass murderer who lurked within it.

Happy Reading,
Rebecca

7 comments:

  1. I hope you end up liking this one Rebecca, I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a lot of people recommend this one so I am excited to finally get around to it. Thanks for visiting!
      Rebecca

      Delete
  2. There were times in my life when disappearing in a strange city or country seemed like the most romantic, adventurous thing I could do. Your opening lines capture that feeling perfectly.
    I love the cover too.

    http://bronasbooks.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/raven-flight-by-juliet-marillier-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had my eye on this one...great beginning. Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is new to me - sounds good. the opening certainly grabs your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, especially since it's a true story. I also liked Larson's ISAAC'S STORM about the devastating hurricane that hit Galveston, TX, in 1900. Riveting, beautifully written tales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book has been on my TBR shelf for several years. I really have to read it.

    Thanks for including your post on Book Beginnings!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin